Brushes with Culture

This is a space where I can reflect on the many fascinating things that I experience. Some of the things I brush with are Culture with a capital C. Others are just intriguing moments. Sometimes I am brushing with these moments in a hurry. This is a chance to relive those moments in tranquility. These are the stories I tell myself in those quieter moments.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sing-Song Reversing

In Bangalore, reversing vehicles sound like ringing phones. Not sufficient to beeep, beeep, beeep like the forklift trucks 'operating in store now'... or large lorries doing intricate manoeuvres in colder climes, there are songs and symphonies out there polluting the city. Goodness, we heard 'Fur Elise' and 'Happy Birthday' among others.

A question begged is whether you choose your tune and can change it. Or do you buy your car knowing that you are going to be saddled with Mozart in monophone for the whole life of it? When I say ringtones, that's the old-fashioned kind that still sound tinny when pumped out the back of a Landrover. I suppose they could get all poly about it but if it blended into the environment it might cease to be effective. Because, whereas with a phone it's the owner who needs alerting and they are trained to listen for a particular call, with reversing cars it's everyone except the owner that's being notified. So a nice tune that has very little nuisance value probably doesn't quite cut it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home