Brushes with Culture

This is a space where I can reflect on the many fascinating things that I experience. Some of the things I brush with are Culture with a capital C. Others are just intriguing moments. Sometimes I am brushing with these moments in a hurry. This is a chance to relive those moments in tranquility. These are the stories I tell myself in those quieter moments.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

On Religion

Intelligent drama about intelligent design, or its absence. This is not a play that needs further introduction. At the end I turned to my companion and said: 'That was quick.' It was the usual length for plays at the Soho Theatre, 1hr 35 mins with no interval. It just seemed fast because it was gripping. Rather a good play On Religion. My companion looked at me with starry eyes and thanked me profusely for suggesting it. Always happy not to disappoint. And not since my brush with Heloise and Abelard have I heard fundamentalism so well attacked in a theatre. Which was not that long ago - the theatre's response to extremism is hotting up.

But it's well overdue that I post the pics that I took when I did indeed get to the Pere Lachaise cemetery to celebrate the intellectual lovers. Admittedly I spent a long time staring in the wrong place, trying to see any trace of their tomb, before I had my attention turned to a huge monument, quite the biggest tomb that isn't a full-blown sepulchre. (And there's me worrying that the Parisians had let their favourite lovers fall into neglect.) Anyway, pics will appear here as soon as I can get my CD disc drive to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home