Brushes with Culture

This is a space where I can reflect on the many fascinating things that I experience. Some of the things I brush with are Culture with a capital C. Others are just intriguing moments. Sometimes I am brushing with these moments in a hurry. This is a chance to relive those moments in tranquility. These are the stories I tell myself in those quieter moments.

Friday, March 10, 2006

At the Astoria tonight...

Tonight I went to see gypsy punks: the Ukrainian band Gogol Bordello, and wasn't that a frenzy of flying limbs and frenetic sawing. Wiry, too. Leadman Eugene Hutz shed bits of clothing until his trousers were all that garnered him and eventually even those began to slip and we were witness to 'builder's bottom', but it has to be said that I've not seen a builder with a butt like that escaping his jeans, or quite so electrically, dementedly mobile either.

I had a grandstand view just behind the mixing desks, which allowed me the pleasure of actually seeing the band - it may be cute to be short, but it's not great at gigs - and to multitask - not just watching the band, but also watching as the visiting Gogol sound guy strutted his stuff and the indigenous sound lady let her hair down amid some vibes of their own.

When I've bothered to download the images from my phone, I will share the snapshots of bright lights and waving hands that I have to settle for as gig pics.

My stuff was shaken. Very good. Though the only song I really understood beseeched us to wear purple.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 am, Blogger Ann said...

On the radio, they've just announced the launch of underwear to make 'the builder's bum' a thing of the past. But I'm not sure that Eugene was wearing underwear.

Anyway, it's the jeans that sag.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home