Brushes with Culture

This is a space where I can reflect on the many fascinating things that I experience. Some of the things I brush with are Culture with a capital C. Others are just intriguing moments. Sometimes I am brushing with these moments in a hurry. This is a chance to relive those moments in tranquility. These are the stories I tell myself in those quieter moments.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Thinking Woman's David Tennant

It is a long time since I had anything to say about David Tennant. But now that has all changed...

The other day one of my oldest and dearest friends spontaneously commented that Peter Capaldi was the thinking woman's David Tennant. We were watching Capaldi's consummate performance as an AlistairCampbellalike in The Thick of It. And it is true that he is willowy, Scottish and has a big nose.

To which another friend, who has appeared in this blog before to comment on the DTP, retorted that David Tennant was the thinking woman's David Tennant. No surprises there then.

But who is the thinking woman's Alistair Campbell? After hearing of his passion for Princess Di (misplaced, of course, but so human) and the amount of crying he did in office, I realise that Ali has been badly misunderstood. He's actually a sweetie. Thank goodness that he wrote all those diaries so the truth could come out. Seems to me that he's had a bit of bad press. Anyway, if he's such a softee, then we thinking women need someone rougher, with more of an edge and a sharper line in repartee. Someone who can keep those pushy types out there in their place, I'd say. A Malcolm Tucker of a man...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home