Brushes with Culture

This is a space where I can reflect on the many fascinating things that I experience. Some of the things I brush with are Culture with a capital C. Others are just intriguing moments. Sometimes I am brushing with these moments in a hurry. This is a chance to relive those moments in tranquility. These are the stories I tell myself in those quieter moments.

Friday, June 02, 2006

May's Theatre

It was a fine month for theatregoing.

6th: Visible by Cardboard Citizens, Soho Theatre.
7th: The Exonerated, Riverside Studios.
17th: The Changeling by CheekbyJowl, The Barbican.
18th: Love and Other Fairytales by Scarlet, The ArtsDepot.
30th: project D: I'm Mediocre by The Work Theatre Collective, Tristan Bates Theatre.
31st: Red Ladies by The Clod Ensemble, Hackney Empire.

Not only did I see six plays, but I saw them in pairs. And, funnily enough, the pairs made sense. What power we have to find meaning in things.

Pair one were overt social protest.
Pair two were wry comment on relations between the sexes.
Pair three were bitty and culmulative; well-observed but ultimately fragmented. And I was too tired to get the best from them.

Further: Oh dear, I didn't see six plays, I saw seven. But I'm still so tired that I can't count. The other play, on 9th May, was the Oxford Stage Company doing Paradise Lost at Brighton Theatre Royal. It was in a class of its own, so that's OK. It wasn't part of a pair.

Moments of note:
* Adam and Eve acting for 20mins as nature intended before eating the apple and shifting their delivery just enough to make them knowingly without clothes. Beautifully nuanced. And she was gorgeous too, though we both left the theatre wondering if she'd had a boob job. Shame the bloke was less striking.

More to come...

1 Comments:

At 11:24 pm, Blogger lynneguist said...

But have you seen Fuerzabruta at the Roundhouse yet?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home